Saturday, February 3, 2018

Review: Book of Bones

Thank you to @kidlitexchange for my copy of this book to review, all opinions are my own. 

Book of Bones: 10 Record-Breaking Animals by Gabrielle Balkan 




This book was such a joy! This book is highly interactive, which is a great way to teach kids about something complex like bones. 

The book begins by summarizing what kids already know about bones, and I liked that way of bringing the reader into a challenging topic. Then, the book presents a question about bones (i.e., biggest, longest, heaviest). The question includes facts about that bone, and on the next page, kids find the answer. These pages teach kids about different animals and describes why their bones are the way they are. I love this approach! Kids will learn about bones but also better understand why bones are different, based on survival and animal needs. 

As a teacher, I would love to use this book to get kids interested in science and to help them find nonfiction engaging. This is a book kids can pick up and read a section of, then put back down, which makes it great for kids who aren’t as interested in reading. 

Parents could have fun with this book for many days by exploring a different type of bone and animal each day. I can see this book bringing up lots of great conversations about animals and biology. 

Finally, the pages are black which reminded me of x-rays – another fun connection to STEM! 

My recommendation is to add this book to your library whether you are a teacher or parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment