Friday, October 6, 2017

Children's Literature Review: Wishtree

At ILA this past summer, I heard about this new book, Wishtree. The sales representative that mentioned it didn't say anything about the plot, just that it was a "book to read". When it comes to books, I'm easily convinced I should read it, so I pre-ordered it far ahead of its September 26th release date. 

Then, it showed up on my doorstep, and I quickly enjoyed the story. This book is so sweet, and I'm happy that I've read quite a few "sweet" and "charming" books this year. I'm not usually interested in overly sweet books because that doesn't ring true to reality, but I do like them as an escape. While I describe this book as "sweet", it still has a deep and powerful message for young readers.


Wishtree by Katherine Applegate


The most interesting aspect of this book is that it is told from the perspective of a tree, a wishtree to be specific. The tree begins narrating the story by telling about his/her (the tree is dioecious, meaning it includes both male and female organs) life. The Wishtree counts his/her rings and tells about the animals that live within its branches. The Wishtree also describes how different species in the plant and animal kingdom are named. 

This first part of the book would be interesting to combine with instruction in science. Applegate defines some science vocabulary and does a good job breaking down the animal and plant kingdoms. I think it would be a good way to get students interested in learning about different species and understanding how plants and animals live in harmony. 

Next, the Wishtree tells about the human activity surrounding it. The Wishtree has seen humans evolve and describes how the neighborhoods grew up around it. This part of the story includes quite a bit of history that would be interested for students and teachers to explore. 

Finally, the crux of the book comes in the present day. A new family moves to town and at the same time, Red, our Wishtree, is vandalized. Someone carves a sinister message into Red's trunk. This causes Red to discuss how humans can be damaging, not only to nature but to each other. When all hope seems lost, Red also gets to witness a hopeful friendship between two children in the neighborhood. 

I like this book for elementary readers because it is very easy to read and Applegate defines words that may be difficult for young readers. There is science, history, and cultural content within the book that can be explored by readers and teachers. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it gave me a lot to think about. It definitely lived up to its hype from ILA!

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment